Monday, December 1, 2014

The Hairy Hendecahedra Project (post one)

Moss grows surprisingly well on our deck. Even with no dirt or any sort of encouragement, except proximity. The moss on this lavender filled teacup got this big before I even noticed it. I love unusual shapes especially crystally looking ones. While surfing a polyhedra site list, I found an 11 sided one at steelpillow.com, their excellent peel for a sphenoid hendecahedron. I still have no idea how to cut a block of one but they looked like fun. So I made a model, tiny. I had no intention of trying to make enough of them to do anything cool, just a vane wish. I made it outta clear plastic and Scotch tape with Sharpied edges to remind me.

Of the five space filling polyhedra on the page with the Sphenoid Hendecahedra (by Guy Inchbald), it was by far the coolest. 6 nested in a floret, wedge edge in, form 1 layer of a solid column. Flip the next layer upside down, rinse and repeat. Butted against each other, these columns also nest solidly (duh, space filling). After a couple of months of not very inspired coding, don't see Flatware County Diet on scratch.mit.edu (so far pieces still won't follow the trails on the game board). I really wanted to see something outrageous work. As it turned out, this wasn't it, but I made some interesting mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment